Friday, July 8, 2011

Time Management Part 1


When it comes to time, we have to remember some very important facts. One, I have the same amount of time as every other person on the planet. And two, no one has more time than I have.
This is correct in two ways. Looking at the big picture, we only have 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 52 weeks per year. Looking at the small picture, all any of us really have is THIS MOMENT RIGHT NOW.

Management means using effectively the resources given. It does not mean the end of all fun and relaxation; on the contrary, it should free time for all the important areas of my life. Unmanaged time becomes confusing, chaotic, leads to the failure of goals and general anxiety.
Management of time ensures that my life stays in balance and I have time to accomplish the goals that are important to me.

Let's talk about how to effectively manage your time. First, you have to know yourself inside and out. Am I a morning person, or a night person? Do I concentrate best in silence or with background music or noise? Do I prefer to be in company, or alone? There are no right or wrong answers to the questions, but knowing my personal style allows me to plan to succeed. It’s self –defeating to plan for difficult or stressful events at times and by means that are also difficult or stressful for me! A successful plan uses my strengths, and is patient with my weaknesses.

Next, we have to know our plan. Making plans to achieve goals is key and when you do this, make sure to write it down!

Third, we have to know what to do. You must have goals and objectives. You must identify your relative importance: some things are necessary, some things important, some things I can “take or leave”, and some are “extras and fluff.” You need to know which are which. This is called setting priorities.

Check back with us later this week to get the second part of time management!

Do you have some time management advice for us? Shout back at us and let us know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment